Friday 12 November 2010

A week later....

New From Fifi....

My thought process on my collection has evolved immensely during the past few days...hmmm who knew?

I have come to the realisation that I not only want to create a great collectiom, I actually want to create a line that I can develop and continue on from after graduation. As a Fashion and Marketing student I always thought that I would end up in PR or Buying...but I have come to terms with the fact that I LOVE DESIGNING...not just for the design point of view or the end products...but the actual process of designing and how everything can influence a this process or a concept.
 
I have been developing the idea of using the quilting technique to create great and exciting new garments that could be both aesthetically pleasing and functional, with a strong influence of sportswear but with the sophisticated new age feel of the Balenciaga A/W 2010/2011 collection. 

I am currently working on introducing quilting to trousers and to great big bombers and sweater dresses using the quilting technique to define the lines and forms from the Francis Bacon paintings I have been basing my collection on.

Francis Bacon
Self-Portrait
1971
Francis Bacon's 1962 triptych "Three Studies for a Crucifixion
 
Most people ask where the sportswear influence comes into the collection.

Well its by the image below. The yellow lines remind me of the strips of lines on the adidas logo and clothing brand and most sportswear items on the market. That influenced me to think about adding the element of sportswear through the introduction of bright yellow striped panels on the bombers and puffer coats and jackets and leggings that will overall have a dark and edgier gothic feel inspired by the aggressiveness of Francis Bacon's painting style.

Painting Title: Study after Velazquez's Portrait of Pope Innocent X 1953
Francis Bacon

  Im at the process of experimenting with this idea and still focusing on the shapes of the paintings through the application of the  quilting techniques introduced into the big wool blend and leather tailored jackets and coats with draped jersey and ribbed sweater dresses and high waisted peg legged leggings.

This is the collections direction at the moment, but with the design process you never know what to expect and how it would develop even further. At this point in time however this is IT!


No comments: